"Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing." -House

Friday, May 11, 2007

Yoga

I never thought I'd be one of those people who did yoga. I feel like I've discovered something miraculous. I've done the occasional session of yoga with Steve Ross over on the Oxygen network ("Inhale" 6am mon-fri) but never with much regularity. I've just recently started doing yoga of some sort every other day, always with a tv program (I tend to get giggly and/or self conscious during actual classes). What I've learned is this: when I'm concentrating on not falling over or when I'm praying that my legs will not give out in chair pose...I'm not focusing on my health or getting anxious. I still have a bit of trouble when my heart rate starts getting fast, but I'm working on that. My heart is my friend. (repeat 4 times...breathe) The only drawback I've found is that in order to eventually practice yoga everyday you need to be, like, *good* at it. I'm still at the "all my muscles ache the next day" phase. I think I overdid it yesterday, too...my shoulders are pretty sore this morning.
Oh and the *other* thing that I'm (sort of) excited about is that I'm getting a massage today. I can't really afford it but I've decided to take the advice of a bunch of people who I complain about my muscle tension to on a regular basis. The 'sort of' comes mostly in the leadup to the massage. What do I wear? Do you tip the masseuse? Can I spell? How freaky is it going to be to have a perfect stranger massaging my back? I guess I'll see!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that you are into Yoga. But as one hailing from the country which gave it to the world, I have a few things to say:

A. There are several schools of Yoga and a good teacher always sizes up a candidate to determine what exercises are appropriate for the person, taking into account the physical structure etc

B. For a person in the situation you are now in probably a beginning should be made with a series of breathing exercises.They are good stress-busters.

Having said this much I would confess that I have no personal experience of having done any yoga,because I am past the age.

Seriously,if you can make a trip to India, nothing quite like it.

Leila V. said...

Hey Addie:
Good luck with the massage, I'm much too self-conscience to get one, but love the idea.

I swear by exercise too. I don't do yoga but I walk and hike. I think the only other comparable outlet for negative energy is blogging...

Addie said...

oommen- thanks for the advice! I've found both the 'break a sweat' yoga and the 'breathing' yoga to be majorly helpful. I just got a new DVD that I think will help me to get the most out of the 'breathing' form. And one thing I've learned about yoga so far...you're never past the age to be able to do it. There are yoga programs out there for people of any age and ability level! Give it a try!

rodrigo- um...que? I speak german and a teeny bit of hebrew, dude.

leila- more massage details to come soon...I had such an amazing experience I might be able to talk you into it! And mega dittos on the exercise/blogging. The only other outlet I've found is talking/crying to a close friend. I end up with a stuffy nose but always end up feeling at least 3 1/2 times better. talk to you soon!

-addie