"Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing." -House

Friday, May 4, 2007

Day 4

After a trip to the cardiologist yesterday for a follow up on a Echo and 21 day monitoring from a few weeks ago I now have new info and most of it's (gasp) good! The palpitations I've been experiencing are nothing to worry about. I've got a mild Mitral Valve Prolapse that causes a slight murmur. I've known about that for a few weeks and it's not causing much anxiety, my dad has the same thing and it's never caused him any issues. The other thing was periods of tachycardia that showed up on the ekg monitor. What's funny is that the times I felt something and pushed the event button on the monitor were not the times that showed any issues. The automated system activates by itself when there's an event and that's when the tachycardia showed up. The good news is even when my heart is racing, it's never been higher than my target heart rate should be when exercising. The one bad point in this is that the cardiologist wants me to start taking beta-blockers to slow down my heart rate. I ask again...do these doctors not hear me the first 10 times I express fear and anxiety over taking medications? Especially when they're not really necessary. So I'm going to wait and see how I adapt to this new antidepressant before I start to let my brain run wild over NEW side effects.
I guess my fear stems from the idea of being *dependant* on medications. Does this mean I'll have to take them for the rest of my life? That's a really scary thought. I've never been good at regular taking of vitamins, let alone medications that all say in the literature "do not stop taking this medication without your doctor's knowledge".
I hate this crap.

1 comment:

Leila V. said...

I hear you on that one. Dealing with doctors sucks. Although yours seem to be alot more willing to run tests than mine. My doctors insist I'm fine before they check me!