"Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing." -House

Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm really ticked

I've been taking cymbalta for 10 days now. I've just now been made aware of the horrible withdrawal symptoms that are associated with stopping this medication. And that it's not really proven to work as a long-term aid. There are people out there who think they're dying because of the cessation of this medication. I'm just glad I learned about this when I did so I can quit while I'm (hopefully) not too used to the medication. Because this has been a useful tool for me AND there seems to be a lack of information out there for people who don't know what keywords to google, I'm hoping to blog about what happens after someone like me quits. Hopefully I'm going to have no problems at all and this will just be a further learning experience for me. Next time googling the name of the drug is not enough. Drug + withdrawal would have saved me the anxiety I've got now. I'll just hold tight to the fact that I've only been taking the low dose for 10 days and not 2 years...and if I do have symptoms I'll know what they are and what to expect. Although I still will likely think I'm dying/going crazy. Not much that will stop that. :O)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There is no way someone as intelligent and articulate as you could ever get dependent on medication of any sort. I read all your posts in one sitting and am convinced that all it takes for you to turn your back on the events of the past month is to get engrossed with something, anything in an environment you are completely comfortable with.

Addie said...

Thank you very much. That means a lot to me.

Barbora said...

From your experience, was there any up side to Cymbalta? I'd be curious to know, as I was threatened with NEW medication recently. Prosac is what's given me the best result so far.

Barbora

Addie said...

barbora- I don't think I was on it for long enough to testify to its effacacy, but while researching I couldn't find a bit of evidence that it's useful as a long-term antidepressant. The drug company that makes it only did a 9 week study. Personally I'm opposed to anything that isn't capable of long term aid. Hope that helps you! I'd say if prozac works for you...stick with it. It has the lowest instance of withdrawal symptoms (as far as what I read)
Addie